NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Basic Electronics » Program Upload Error with initialload

September 17, 2011
by nerdgirl

Hi Everybody,

I am in the process of uploading the initialload program and I am getting an upload error in DOS. What I have done so far is to open the "Makefile" in note pad and I've changed the "/dev/ttyUSB0" to COM2 since that one wasn't in use. I also manually changed the USB COM port to 2 since my machine assigned it COM15. When I type "make" at the C:Codeinitiallload>make I am getting a program upload error 1. Can someone help me?

Thanks in advance.

September 17, 2011
by Ralphxyz

Are you using Microsoft's "Notepad" or "ProgrammersNotepad"?

If you used M$ Notepad as your editor you now have a Makefile.txt that has your changes.

Remove the .txt.

Never use Notepad, especially for anything programing related, there is a Programmers NotePad in the Nerdkit installation that is real good.

Ralph

September 17, 2011
by nerdgirl

Thanks Ralph. I'm using "Programmers notepad." Do I copy the initialload.c code onto the programmers notepad?

September 18, 2011
by Ralphxyz

Well no.

Or only if you wish to change it to say "Welcome Nerdgirl"

I just wanted to make sure that you were not using Microsoft NotePad.

Did you get the initialload program to run?

What OS (Operating System) are you using, you mention DOS but I do not believe that is your OS.

Ralph

September 24, 2011
by nerdgirl

Hi Ralph,

The OS I'm using is Windows Vista. I am having trouble with the "make" command. Is there something I'm suppose to do in Programmers notepad other than edit the "Makefile?" When I run the "make" command in the Administrators mode, the output is such that it's having trouble connecting to the Programmer. Is there something else I'm to do before running the "make" command? Thank you for helping me. :-)

September 27, 2011
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi Nerdgirl,

I noticed you have several threads open about this topic, I think it would be helpful if we keep the discussion going here.

Humberto

September 28, 2011
by nerdgirl

Okay. Sorry for the confusion. I will keep the topic going here as you wish. Royce

September 28, 2011
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Awesome, we shall keep this going here. You are doing a great job of sticking with it, so I'm sure we will have you up and running (hopefully soon). I received a screenshot from you showing one of the errors you are getting. It is a bit cryptic, but it does give me some information. I saw that you are getting some form of "Huh? Go" in you error, albeit a bit jumbled. This tells me that your chip is not in programming mode (at least it wasn't that time). If you can post up some good close up pictures of your setup here, as well as that screenshot of your device manager. It will help us better see what is going on.

Humberto

September 29, 2011
by nerdgirl

Alt Text

September 29, 2011
by nerdgirl

The above photo image is of my device manager at the time I get the arvdude upload error. I am unable to take a clear photo of my hardware due to the battery being expired in my camera. Just as soon as I'm able, I will put a photo here also. I have the switch on my hardware in slots 24, 25, 26. However, it doesn't seem to be working even though the switch is in the "UP" position with the power source plugged in. Is there a way to tell if the switch itself is in correctly?

September 29, 2011
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

HI nerdgirl,

Picture tells us alot. You are very very close. The "Huh? Go" message you see in the programmer ID field is actually a message being sent by the chip, which means your driver is workign correctly and the chip is communicating with your computer correctly. So make sure you keep this setup on the computer exactly the same. The only problem now is that you are not in programming mode (I know this because the "Huh? Go" message is sent by the running program that we flashed onto the chip before sending it to you).

To boot into programming mode you have to make sure the switch is in the right position before you plug in the battery, so that when the chip boots the switch is already where it needs to be. You also have to make sure there is a wire connecting row 25 of your breadboard and the GND rail, this is what makes a connection between the pin of the MCU and GND which pulls the pin low for programming.

Humberto

September 29, 2011
by nerdgirl

Hello Humberto,

I have tried booting into programming mode by having the switch "UP" first, then plugging in the battery. When I did so, I did not see two bars showing on the lead that it in fact is in programming mode. I have a brand new battery. Also, I do have a wire connecting row 25 of my breadboard and the (blue) GND rail. I'm ready for any and all suggestions. By the way, thanks.

September 29, 2011
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

At this point I strongly suspect something is up with your wiring. Especially if you are seeing only two black bars while the kit is not in programming mode. If you can get any pictures up for us to look at (even blurry ones might give us some clues, just do the best you can).

Humberto

September 29, 2011
by nerdgirl

Hi Humberto,

Finally, here is a picture of my hardware. Let me know what you think. :-)

My Hardware

September 29, 2011
by nerdgirl

Hi Humberto,

I just re-read your last thread and I wanted to correct you. I am NOT seeing two black bars on my lead when the kit is not in programming mode. Nor do I see two black bars when the kit is IN programming mode. I merely read from the Nerdkits library "Not a Butterfly" under the most common causes. One example stated that a person should see two black bars on the LCD when you are in programming mode. Unfortunately, even when my switch is "UP", I do not see the two black bars mentioned.

September 30, 2011
by TomMcGinnis47

Looking at your picture, I would suggest that the blue wire on the right side needs to be moved to row 25 on the left side of the breadboard. The rows are numbered the same on each side, but they are actually electrically seperated in the middle.

September 30, 2011
by nerdgirl

Hey Tom,

Thanks. That did the trick. Now when my switch is in the up position it's telling me with bars on the LCD that it is in programming mode. And when the switch is in the down position, it simply reads the pre-installed program code from Nerdkits. And I'm off to see what else I can conquer. :-) Thanks again!

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that you can follow NerdKits on Facebook, YouTube, and Twitter? Learn more...