NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Everything Else » Supplies

August 25, 2011
by pandal3oy

Where are you all buying supplies from? I would love to run down to the closest Radio Shack or Fry's but I moved out of the states to help out in a 3rd world country. I want to find supplies in bulk but electronics are a rarity here. Bulk as in maybe 10 of each item. Anyone know of a good online dealer? Money is an issue too since I am volunteering so good prices will help. It is tough envisioning things and putting it to reality without having the supplies to test it out. I'll definitely have alot of trial and errors here in West Africa. I want to eventually teach kids simple projects to expand their creativity. Let me know anyone! Thanks in advance.

August 25, 2011
by mongo

DigiKey, Newark Electronics, Allied Electronics... I think they all ship pretty much anywhere.

August 26, 2011
by bretm

I really like Futurlec.com. Search for "value pack" and you'll get a good base of common components for pretty cheap--$0.01 resistors, $0.02 to $0.04 capacitors, $0.05 transistors, $0.03 diodes, $0.04 LEDs, $0.20 op-amps and voltage regulators. (No, I don't work for them.)

August 26, 2011
by Ralphxyz

Futurlec.com has some good values but they ship via "a slow boat from China".

You might have a three or four week wait for delivery.

Ralph

August 26, 2011
by dgikuljot

@Ralhxyz, Yep exactly. I have ordered from future lec, and it is slow but i guess if your not in a hurry you could order in bulk, although they do charge shipping according to how much money you spent and not based on weight.

August 27, 2011
by pandal3oy

Thanks guys! Hopefully shipping to Africa will be the same price if its by price and not weight haha.

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that a thermometer can be made "faster" by using a bit of math? Learn more...