NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Project Help and Ideas » Emergencynth ( 8 Oscillator 12 bit 48khz additive synthesizer with integrated 8 step sequencer )

July 22, 2011
by kayrock

I am 99.9% finished prototyping my first project. Thank you guys, it's been really fun learning about microcontrollers and getting back into programming after a 10 year hiatus.

www.emergencynth.com

July 22, 2011
by Ralphxyz

Karl, is your emergencycyth based on the Nerdkit mcu?

How did you come up with the name emergencycyth?

I really like it no matter what it is called.

Ralph

July 22, 2011
by missle3944

Hi Karl,

Mannn that thing is really cool, can you make your own tune ? Did you use pwm and how did you create the saw tooth wave? i also like your project box and your cool front panel.

-missle3944

July 23, 2011
by kayrock

This first one was made for a hardware themed art show at Crest Hardware, so I built it into an oil burner emergency shutoff switch. Subsequently I got rid of the big switch in favor of a volume knob, but I kept the name.

emergencynth prototype

You can set up your own tune. There are 8 different patterns you can cycle through and each one can be edited and saved to the eeprom. Everything is done with a single ATMEGA328P with a nerdkits bootloader, except for the DAC. I originally did use PWM, but I can only get 0x1A0 resolution out of it ( something between 8 and 9 bits ) at 48kHz with a 20MHz crystal, so I switched over to using an external DAC, the MCP4821.

July 23, 2011
by missle3944

WOW. That is really cool. How did you make the faceplate?

July 26, 2011
by kayrock

I bought the metal plates at the hardware store, drilled them with a drillpress, spray painted it with enamel ( let dry for 24 hours ) silkscreened with white enamel ( let dry another 24 hours ) then put it all together.

July 26, 2011
by Ralphxyz

Dam Now I have to learn "SilkScreening".

That really is a nice looking project and functionally I like what you are doing with it.

Ralph

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that there are Power MOSFETs for switching big loads on and off? Learn more...