NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Basic Electronics » rechargeable battery for project

June 21, 2011
by kayrock

I took apart some ikea spoka night lights which have a 3.6V 550mAh NiMH battery pack ( which I can find for around $6 online ) and a 5V wall wart. They work pretty great for powering an atmega. I'm looking into putting it together from scratch because I ran out of night lights to cannibalize. It looks like a simple circuit to trickle charge the battery when the power supply is plugged in, 4 resistors, two diodes and a transistor plus a dpdt switch to turn it on and off. If anyone has any interest or experience with this, let me know.

June 23, 2011
by BobaMosfet

I've done this. You really need to be able to monitor not just voltage, but current and temperature of the cell(s). Based on kind of battery, charge rate, and some other factors, the battery will get colder or warmer during charge. Together, these factors handled properly can virtually ensure you never damage a battery.

BM

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that you can adjust most wire strippers to make it easier to strip insulation faster? Learn more...