NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Support Forum » WinAVR Revisions

May 25, 2011
by crizzo99

Hi All, Just received my NerdKit and was downloading the docs, tools, etc.

Quick question: I notice that the release on the NerdKits website for WinAVR is 20090313. If you go to WinAVR there is an updated stable release 20100110. I know WinAVR is a collection of different GNU tools, is there any reason not to go ahead and use the more current release of WinAVR?

Thanks.

May 25, 2011
by bretm

No reason that I know of. I've been using the 2010 version for a while with no new problems.

May 26, 2011
by Ralphxyz

But that leads to the classical question of why? Is there a overwhelming reason to upgrade beyond the fact that it is there?

This is a nagging question for all software (and device) users and developers.

If it works why upgrade?

I know crizzo99's question was about just starting out and in fact I would encourage him to use the latest "stable" release but thought

I'd just ask for us using WinAVR 20090313 is there anything in the newer release that might add a advantage?

I know "RTFM", sorry.

Ralph

May 26, 2011
by bretm

I upgraded because of bugs they fixed. Even things as common as the util/delay routines have bug fixes.

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that binary numbers use base 2 to represent numbers, and these are important for understanding microcontroller registers? Learn more...