NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Support Forum » Vista unzip question

May 20, 2011
by JMitchell

Hello, I am having trouble with unzipping the Code.zip I right click and choose "extract all" and it asks me where I want it. I send it to a desktop file called "Nerdkit", and when I go there after extraction, there is a file called Code.zip with the extracted files in it. The files within this .zip file are all readable, but from cmd, Code.zip file does not appear with the dir command as a directory. If I try to move the extracted files, it won't let me. I know Vista has some odd habits, but this has stumped me. JMitchell

May 20, 2011
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi JMitchell,

That is quite odd. I think your best bet is to delete the Code.zip file in your "Nerdkit" folder. Then go to the Code.zip file you downloaded and double click it. Windows should open up an explorer window and let you view the files. Then select all the folders and drag them out into your "Nerdkits" folder. This should extract the folders into the NerdKtis folder.

The other option is to download a third party archive program like 7zip. I always use that on my windows machine.

Humberto

May 20, 2011
by JMitchell

It is weird. I open the explorer window, then drag a folder into the Nerdkit folder. It then tells me that there is already "a file with the same name as the folder name specified" and it asks me to change the name. I don't like Vista, but this laptop was given to us a few years ago. I will try the 7zip to see how it behaves.

May 20, 2011
by JMitchell

Vista copies a file into the destination folder with the same name as the unzipped folder. It then chokes on the unzipped folder and the file having the same name. I tried 7zip and it worked perfect. Thanks The next problem is that there is an error when flashing- "connecting to programmer: . found programmer:Id = "(triangle symbol)"":type = 0 Software Version = dot dot; Hardware version = dot dot avrdude: error: buffered memory access not supported. Maybe to isn't a butterfly/AVR109 but a AVR910 device? make: ***[initialload-upload] Error 1

What is this talking about?? It sounds like the program and the MCU are incompatable.

May 20, 2011
by Hexorg

JMitchell, that's because Code.zip is NOT a directory. It's a file. Vista's file manager, however, knows that such file is an archive that contains many files inside. That's why you can "enter" Code.zip as if it was a directory.

Command line, on the other hand does not have such extra abilities. That's why you have to extract files from the archive before they can be usable in a command line.

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that you can connect a pushbutton to a microcontroller with only one wire? Learn more...