NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Basic Electronics » Data transmission

May 11, 2011
by Hexorg

Hey guys, I was thinking that it can be useful to add a library page about various ways of transmitting digital information over the wires in both serial and parallel connections, synchronous / asynchronous, full-duplex / half-duplex, etc.

For example:

Serial

1-wire for data and 1 wire for clock results in synchronous half-duplex serial transmission 2-wire for data and 1 wire for clock results in synchronous full-duplex serial transmission (Hardware example: SPI) 2-wire for data and no clock for asynchronous full-duplex serial transmission (Hardware example: USART) 1-wire for data and clock (like USB), data is encoded using special algorithm, making the USB data like almost always switch every clock pulse, providing serial information and means to adjust clock differences.

I want to hear more examples if you can think of any :)

May 12, 2011
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Sounds like a great idea. If you cover UART, SPI, and TWI (I2C) bus you have probably covered most of the inter chip communication you can think of doing.

Humberto

February 08, 2012
by amartinez

Love the idea. Please go for it

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that you can build a giant scrolling LED array with our microcontroller kit? Learn more...