NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Sensors, Actuators, and Robotics » Wireless Temperature Sensor

May 10, 2011
by schumanw

Can anyone direct me in the development of a wireless temperature sensor. You place it in a refrigerator and it sends a temperature reading via radio frequency to a receiver on the USB port of the computer. I have considered using a voltage frequency converter (VFC) chip connected to a temperature sensor. What would I use at the USB port to receive the signal? Would I need to mount the VFC chip outside the refrigerator?

May 10, 2011
by Ralphxyz

Hi schumanw, as with most (all) electronic project it depends on how much you want to spend.

You could use ZigBee. Most ZigBee module manufacturers have a USB Stick then you'd need a transmitter module so all together

that would probable cost you $25.00 to $30.00 dollars or more.

You could also get some RF modules from Spark Fun and brew your own.

That would be cheaper but you would have to do your own RF interference safeguards which can lead to a lot of work.

Here is an on going current discussion on using RF.

There are lots of discussions here in the Nerdkits forum's on using RF.

Ralph

May 10, 2011
by schumanw

Thanks, Ralph

I will read up on RF and transceivers. As I dream to become a Nerd one day, I am trying to build my own as cheaply as possible.

Bill

May 10, 2011
by Ralphxyz

Oh I understand that, like I said look at the RF threads here in the Nerdkit's forums.

What you want to do is certainly doable, it will get broken down into Time? or Money?

Spend some time before you spend any money and you will come out further ahead.

Ralph

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that you can use printf and scanf functions to talk to your computer from your USB NerdKit? Learn more...