NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Basic Electronics » IR current

May 05, 2011
by missle3944

Hi all, I just ordered the ir recievers and detectors that the nerdkits guys recommended on the theremin project. But I don't know if I should use a 9v battery or my 5volt, 1.5 amp power supply so I wont blow the transistor.

-missle3944

May 05, 2011
by Ralphxyz

It's not voltage that blows things (normally) it is current so use recommended current limiting resistors.

Voltage gets blamed but higher voltage generally just gives you more ampacity to blow things.

Ralph

May 05, 2011
by missle3944

Hi Ralphxyz,

I am not worried about the voltage but I am worried about the current. I am afraid that the current from the power supply (1.5amps) will blow the transistor.

May 05, 2011
by missle3944

I have all of the correct resistors too. But I am confused if i can use my own supply or a 9vlt battery?

May 05, 2011
by dgikuljot

Hey Missle3944, Just because you power supply is rated at 1.5 amps does not mean that 1.5 amps current will be goign through the circuit. That just means your powersupply can suplly a maximum of 1.5 amps So just use the correct current limiting resistors and you will be fine.

To Find out what value resistors to use:

USe the formula V=IR
    R=V/I.
    So plug in the Voltage rating for the led, and the current it consumes, that will give you the appropriate resistor values.
May 05, 2011
by missle3944

Finally, I got it to work! Thanks

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that NerdKits believes in the importance of a mixture of meaningful topics, clear instruction, and engaging projects? Learn more...