NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Basic Electronics » What is the purpose of the resistor in this power supply?

April 17, 2011
by rajabalu21

I am not sure I understand the reason behind the 1 ohm resistor in series with the output capacitor in this circuit.

Power supply

I have seen this in many places. Can any one explain the purpose of the 1 ohm resistor in the above circuit.

-Raja

April 17, 2011
by bretm

It's usually not needed because the output capacitor will have a sufficient Equivalent Series Resistance (ESR). But if you choose a capacitor where the ESR is very low, the capacitor in parallel with the regulator can cause oscillation because the regular can act like a virtual inductor. The series resistor damps the oscillations.

The datasheet for the MC33269DT says to use an output capacitor with an ESR of at least 0.2 ohms. The 1-ohm series resistor ensures this.

April 17, 2011
by rajabalu21

Thanks for the clarification.

-Raja

April 17, 2011
by rajabalu21

I have checked the capacitor specs and found out that the ESR is 45 mOhm. As it is less than 0.2 Ohm, it makes sense to include that 1 ohm resistor. Learned something new today. Thanks.

-Raja

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that you can use printf and scanf functions to talk to your computer from your USB NerdKit? Learn more...