NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Support Forum » Can Only Write Once

April 08, 2011
by electronics_nerd19

So I just got my nerdkit, set it all up, and everything worked great until I tried to upload a new program to it. I can get it to upload, however I can only upload to it once. If I restart my computer i can upload once again, but the next time I try i get an error in writing. Restart the computer and it works fine once more. I am running Mac OSX 10.6.7. Is there a setting I have to change or something I missed that's causing this? It's really frustrating, and a pain to have to restart for every program tweak. Any help would be appreciated!

April 10, 2011
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi electronics_nerd19,

That is very strange. There are situations where the NerdKit can be kept on in a weird half on state by the power from the signal lines on the UART. Have you tried, completely disconnecting the battery, then disconnecting the USB-Ser programming cable. Then plugging both the battery and the cable back in before you try to program for the second time.

Humberto

April 10, 2011
by Ralphxyz

I have to have a switch on the yellow USB wire, which is what Humberto is saying.

So I power off and switch the USB off then switch the programming switch to run mode then switch the power back on after loading a program.

I leave the USB switched off until I want to load a new program. I am able to turn the micro on and off without rebooting (done that a number of times though).

So to load a new program I power off, switch the program switch to program switch the USB switch on and load the program then turn everything off again. It's not as bad as it sounds and certainly beats having to reboot.

This is on my Mac mini I do not have this problem using Windows.

Ralph

April 10, 2011
by electronics_nerd19

Hey thanks for the help! I read in another post about placing a sleep function in the makefile, works perfect now!

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that you can build a giant scrolling LED array with our microcontroller kit? Learn more...