NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Support Forum » Com Port

March 23, 2011
by jkoppp

I'm having trouble putting programs on my mcu. I always get an error 1 in cmd. Here is the line of my makefile that I changed my makefile says: AVRDUDEFLAGS=-c avr109 -p m168 -b 115200 -P Com1 LINKOBJECTS=../libnerdkits/delay.o ../libnerdkits/lcd.o ../libnerdkits/uart.o

I am not sure why it thinks the com port is wrong.

March 23, 2011
by jkoppp

Cmd

March 23, 2011
by jkoppp

for some reason my image won't post but my computer says it is in "Port_#0001.Hub_#0001"

March 24, 2011
by Ralphxyz

What OS are you using? Are you connecting directly to your computer or using a hub?

![alt image text](http://somepath.com/path/to/img.jpg) will include that image in your post.

You can try random com ports in your make file.

Ralph

March 24, 2011
by jkoppp

I'm am using Windows 7

And I've tried every com port 1-5 but cmd just says "avrdude: ser_open<>: can't open device "Com1": The system cannot find the files specified."

March 24, 2011
by mongo

You need to go into your configuration and program files and change them to the port that your computer sees for the USB converter.

March 24, 2011
by Ralphxyz

My XP SP3 computer is using com14 and com15.

As Mongo said you have to open Device Manager to see what your computer says you are using not what you are guessing at.

To open Device Manager in Windows 7 (this used to be so easy) just go to Start --> Search and enter in Device Manager and then you want to look at the Ports.

Ralph

March 25, 2011
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi jkoppp,

Did you get this issue worked out? It did not seem like you attempted to post a picture of your Device Manager in your original post, which would make diagnosing your problem a bit easier for us.

If I had to guess at what the problem is I would think the driver for the USB-Ser cable has not been properly installed.

Humberto

March 25, 2011
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi jkoppp,

I think I managed to track down the image you were trying to post (you need to get the link to the direct image, not the imageshack site). From that picture it definitely looks like you did not manage to install the drivers correctly. If you post a picture of the full device manager it would be more conclusive, but it definitely looks like that is the problem.

Humberto

March 26, 2011
by kquindlen

I had the same issue with trying to use "PL-2303 Driver Installer.exe" to install.

Win7 users need to install the drivers labeled as Windows Vista drivers. Current install file is "PL-2303 Vista Driver Installer.exe" from the Windows download.

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that binary numbers use base 2 to represent numbers, and these are important for understanding microcontroller registers? Learn more...