NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Project Help and Ideas » Building a PS2 to USB Adapter.

March 21, 2011
by Twarter369

Does anyone have schematics for interfacing a PS2 controller to a USB port? I can write the driver myself if need be, but would, of course, prefer not to have to.

I have seen other discussions online on the topic, but they all point to commercially available versions. I could adapt one of these if necessary, but would rather try to build it.

Also, I know interfacing an old Microsoft XBox controller is as simple as switching out the male head for a USB head. Then, downloading the open source drivers.

March 21, 2011
by mongo

I have a couple of adapters that came with a couple of mice. One is a PS2 in, USB out and the other is USB in, PS2 out. It must be a pretty simple setup inside them as they are just molded into the plastic.

March 21, 2011
by Noter

PS2 and USB are totally separate protocols. If you have a combo mouse (supports both protocols) it will work with usb via the cheap pin to pin adapter but the mouse senses which protocol is connected and uses it. You can't just rewire a standard PS/2 device to work on usb.

March 21, 2011
by Twarter369

@Mongo Yeah, I know the converters are nothing. It is the Driver that is going to be tasked with the major decoding.

@Noter I know that they ultimately are two different protocols, but the transmission methods are the same (I believe, because I have seen people do it successfully. I just don't know HOW they built the actual circuit. I think this looks good. At least it contains a pinout for a PS2 Controller... Not a bad place to start, right? http://www.zen35383.zen.co.uk/stnield/usb2psx.gif

March 21, 2011
by Twarter369

Also, just for clarification. I am not talking about PS/2 (i.e. keyboars) I mean A Playstation 2 Controller. Sorry if that confused anyone.

March 21, 2011
by Noter

Yep, that's a good start. Using a usb chip is the way to do it. What chip is that anyway?

I have a couple of FT232RL usb chips that I plan to use in a project to interface a wireless connection between an AVR and my PC but I haven't got to it yet. One thing I like about the FT232RL is that all the drivers are available and free. Drivers for both COm ports and DLL interface. They, FTDI, might have a usb chip with an interface that will work for your application too.

March 21, 2011
by Noter

Yep, that confused me. I'm an old guy and PS/2 means keyboard/mouse ... LOL!

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that NerdKits has been featured on Slashdot, Hack A Day, Hacked Gadgets, the MAKE blog, and other DIY-oriented websites? Learn more...