NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Support Forum » I cannot load the my first code to the chip

March 08, 2011
by th_tou

Hi everybody, I have trouble with sending my first code to the chip. I tried couple times, and it displayed error. this is what appear in my Window command prompt: c: UsersTouDesktopinitialload>make avardude -c avr109 -p m168 -b 115200 =P /COM5 -U flash:w:initialload.hex:a

Connecting to programmer: . Found programmer: Id = ""; type = Software Version = . ; Hardware Version = . avrdude: error: buffered memory access not supported. Maybe it isn't a butterfly/ AVR109 but a AVR910 device? makeL *** [initialload-upload] Error1

Anyone knows what i need to fix? Any suggestion would be great,

Tou

March 08, 2011
by Rick_S

How did I know this was going to be another... butterfly... thread.

My suggestion, use the search button on the forum... You'll likely find your answer there.

Not trying to be rude, but this question has to be the most asked and answered on the forum.

Rick

March 08, 2011
by Ralphxyz

Is this your path?

Users\Tou\Desktop\initialload>make ...

If so you are not in the correct hierarchy it should be:

Users\Tou\Desktop\Code\initialload>make ...

When you unzip the Nerdkits download you will have the Code folder in which the initialload folder resides this order Code\initialload has to be maintained.

As a side note in order to get the \ you have to escape the \ with another \ so you have \\.

You can also Highlight it and use the "Indent Selection as Code Block" button.

Rick is correct as usual, there are "Frequently Asked Questions" about the fluttering butterfly, I know I asked a couple of times.

So correct your path and lets see what happens.

Ralph

March 08, 2011
by th_tou

Thank you Rick and Ralph,

I will try your suggestion.

Tou

March 10, 2011
by Rick_S

Tou,

Can you post some photo's of your setup so we can see if there are any problems? Also, if you could post a screen shot of your command screen when trying to program. Often that will help us help you. The "butterfly" error you are getting is quite generic and simply put, means that the avrdude software cannot find your microcontroller to talk to it. There are lot's of possible things that can cause this.

1. Bad wiring/kit build
  2. Incorrect software installation
  3. Failure to edit the makefile to represent the correct COM port for your computer.
  4. Incorrect editing of the makefile

And more.

Photo's, and screenshots go a long way to getting your issue resolved.

Rick

March 10, 2011
by th_tou

Rick, This is the my screen shot: http://img163.imageshack.us/i/errorkm.jpg/

Thanks again for your fast response and suggestion.

Tou

March 10, 2011
by th_tou

Rick,

My chip seems working now, but I see two big line on the LCD in stead of the message from the code. this is my screen shot: http://img708.imageshack.us/i/screenshotio.png/ Any tips?

Thanks,

Tou

March 10, 2011
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi Tou,

The screenshot you posted means the code was flashed to the MCU successfully. Now you need to reboot the chip into normal (not programming) mode. This is as easy as just flipping the programming switch back, and then resetting power to the chip.

If you still don't see your message it probably means a wire to the LCD is loose or not connected correctly.

Humberto

March 12, 2011
by th_tou

Humberto, I got the message now, but I try to change the message and then reload, and I now again got the error. This is my screen shot: http://img854.imageshack.us/i/error2.png/ My understand is whatever I make change the message, it should appear on the LCD.

Thanks again for your help,

Tou

March 12, 2011
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi th_tou,

This error pretty much means that something is wrong somewhere and the MCU can't seem to talk to the PC. Since you are getting different errors inconsistently I think you need to slow down a little bit, and make sure you change only one thing at a time so you can make good steady progress in the right direction.

If you can post some good close up pictures of your setup, we might be able to spot something strange.

Humberto

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that binary numbers use base 2 to represent numbers, and these are important for understanding microcontroller registers? Learn more...