NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Support Forum » works under DOS but not in Linux

March 01, 2011
by tritono

Hello,

I managed to get the first proyect going under DOS. But I want to learn linux, and I have a netbook running Ubuntu. I cant get it to program the chip. Here is the error I get when I use de "make" command.

http://www.subirimagenes.net/show-image.php?id=bd655d3cb90bcbd0e732999ddb3c9c62

Where should I be looking?

(Sorry for the link, couldn´t post the image directly)

THanks, Sebastian

March 01, 2011
by Rick_S

photo

March 01, 2011
by tritono

thanks for that Rick_S!

March 01, 2011
by Ralphxyz

I do not know Linux but are you working in the "libnerdkits" folder?

Don't you want to be in the /home/sebastian/Code/Initialload/ folder? Or other project folder.

Ralph

March 02, 2011
by tritono

Hi Raplh,

I think I am working in the "initialload" folder.

Thanks, Sebastian

March 02, 2011
by Ralphxyz

Well, make sure i.e "Don't Think". Your screen shot doesn't have "initialload" anywhere mentioned. Which is all that I have to go on.

I used to have a Signature on my forum posts that went:

How many times in life have you "thought" you were correct, only to find out you were wrong?

How many times have you "known" you were correct, only to find out you were wrong?

Tell me what you "know" and I'll be a lot more interested, and more confident in what you are saying.

Ralph

March 02, 2011
by tritono

Hi Ralph,

The fourth line in the screenshot reads: cd "initialload". I am sure I am working in the right folder.

Thanks, Sebastian

March 03, 2011
by Ralphxyz

Duh, sorry of course. See that is what I get for thinking.

Now what about your problem is it still not working?

The fact that you are getting a error in delay.h might mean that you have a corrupted file download/install I would try re-installing everything maybe with a fresh download.

That is unless you have been monkeying around in delay.h.

Again sorry about the working folder issue, that is such a common problem (I say in my defense).

Ralph

March 03, 2011
by tritono

Hi Ralph,

I have not been looking too much into this issue because it´s been so fun playing with the kit under DOS. This is my first aproach to programming and I already managed to get the "tempsensor" proyect to display the results in Fahrenheit, Celsius and Kelvin (yuhuu!). You know, I´ve tried to re-download but I get the same error. I´m sure it´s probably some basic linux little thing I´m missing... I´ll let you know when I solve it.

Thanks, Sebastian

March 03, 2011
by Ralphxyz

It would be nice to document or even setup a flow chart of what you need to do to get a netbook working with Linux (or any computer for that matter). I might have need of doing exactly that, but I have not used Linux since it came on 40 floppy disc. I think my last version was something like .65 or so. It was before Slackware burnt it to a CD so loading it with all of those floppies was really a pain.

But it worked, the only reason I went heavy into Microsoft was the company I was working for switched over to Windows NT 3.5. I tried to do a Linux install recently using SUSE but that failed the first time so I did not pursue it. I guess I got spoiled loading Linux from 40 floppies worked the first time.

So I am thinking about a project that will need some less expensive computers to run the Nerdkit bootloader off and it might well be a Linux project so let us know how you work out. Anyone that is running Linux that might have something to contribute your comments are welcome also. Of course it would be nice to keep the tread on topic and help get Sebastian working.

Ralph

March 10, 2011
by Ron1957

Hello, I just received my kit in the mail and will try and post something of help. I am running UBUNTU Linux (latest version) Kernel 2.6.36. I want to compile programs running GEANY but I have to figure out where all the header files etc. are at and set up GEANY to find everything.

December 01, 2011
by nhscte

I have been working on the same prodject for a class i am teaching I have a computer loaded with UNbutu which was easy, loaded all the suggested programing, now I am haveing a writng error to my chip. any head what from the last time you were woking on this.

December 02, 2011
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi nhscte,

If you let us know what error you are getting it help us help you make sense out of what you are seeing. Most of the time these writing errors are due to either a dead battery, or a loose or missplaced wire rather than an OS issue.

Humberto

December 07, 2011
by tritono

Hi nhscte,

Unfortunetely I dont have any news on this issue. I just continued to work under DOS. I´d love to keep working with the kit under Linux (Ubuntu) though.

Are you getting the same error as the screenshot I posted in the forum?

December 07, 2011
by treymd

I know the first thing I have to do with a fresh fedora install is change the permissions of the /dev/ttyUSB0 entry so that non-root users can use it. Thought I'd toss that out there.

December 07, 2011
by nhscte

silly question from the newbie. how did you do that? change the permissions that is.

December 07, 2011
by treymd

The command to alter permissions is chmod. if you look at any file, or in this case a device with ls -l (that's a -L lowercase) you will see preceding the file 10 characters that represent the permission set for the file. characters 1-9 represent, in order the owners permissions read/write/execute, then the owner groups permissions read/write/execute, then the global permissions read/write/execute.

for example

rwxrwx---- would be owner and group read/write/execute, but no global permission. rwxrwxrwx- would be global read/write/execute

normally I run this: chmod a+rw /dev/ttyUSB0

this gives the device a permission set like this: *rw-rw-rw-

problem with this method: INSANELY insecure! and, I don't believe that this change will remain if you unplug the cable and plug it back in, aka you have to run it every time you plug the cable in. There is a better way, I have just forgotten how to do it.

December 07, 2011
by nhscte

Thanks I will try this tonight

December 07, 2011
by Ralphxyz

tremd said in reverence to setting Linux (unix) permissions.

I have just forgotten how to do it.

One method is to run a script at startup that has permission changes.

I am sure there is a better "permanent" change method but I have not been on Linux for 15 years now.

Ralph

December 07, 2011
by missle3944

Root permissions is

sudo -s

in the terminal

December 08, 2011
by treymd

I think the preferred solution is probably to add your user to the group which already has r/w permission on /dev/ttyUSB0. In the case of Fedora this is the "dialout" group.

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that you can turn a $20 digital scale into a live weight sensor using our kit with a few extra parts? Learn more...