NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Basic Electronics » 24 volt DC to 12 volt DC

February 25, 2011
by Ralphxyz

I have a 24volt, 11 amp Power Supply

I need to power a 12 volt 8 amp pump what is the least expensive high efficiency method to convert 24 volt dc to 12 volt dc and still have the amperage?

If I just stuck a resistor inline I would lose the ampacity correct?

Should I just forget about it and purchase a 12 volt dc power supply?

Thanks,

Ralph

February 25, 2011
by mongo

That's the trouble with DC... Hard to go from one voltage to another. AC at least lets you use transformers.

There is a way though, and it does use a transformer. A DC-DC converter which takes in 24VDC at about 5 Amps and delivers 12VDC at 8 Amps is not exactly cheap but it can be done. It consists of an oscillator, a couple of drivers for the transformer and the tail end is just like any other power supply fed from the secondary of the transformer.

I would rather just get another power supply though. They aren't all that expensive. But the higher current ones do cost a little more than the usual stuff.

February 25, 2011
by Ralphxyz

I found this power supply on ebay. It appears to come with a spacious enough cabinet that I can fit my 24 volt power supply in. I was going to have to build a enclosure for the 24 volt power supply so I "should" be ahead of the game. $40.00 with shipping.

Ralph

February 25, 2011
by JKITSON

I checked the Ebay add.....

I think the total amperage is 10amps. You can only draw approx 1 amp on each port....

Ask some questions befor buying..

Jim

February 25, 2011
by Ralphxyz

Thank you JKITSON, that would make sense. I will not be using the ports so I should be able to get the amperage.

If I used the ports I should/would be able to wire them up in parallel to get the amperage.

I really appreciate your taking the time. I had not caught that, but it certainly makes sense. Are you familiar with CCTV equipment so you know how they are made or did you find a specsheet somewhere?

I have already bought it so we will find out.

Ralph

February 25, 2011
by JKITSON

I have used similar units on CCTV systems. You could take the distribution boar out and use the leads from the power supply to be able to use full amperage...

Good luck

Jim

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that you can control 120 LEDs with just 17 microcontroller pins? Learn more...