NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Support Forum » can anyone see what I have done incorrectly?

February 22, 2011
by Ralphxyz

Whats wrong with this picture?

New Breadboard setup

I am setting up a new breadboard but am stuck with the 2 black bars syndrome.

I get the two black bars in program mode and in run mode.

The mcu has a loaded program but it fails to run (it runs on another breadboard).

Hopefully someone will spot something (obvious), I need a new pair of eyes. I have looked at this so much mind are getting fuzzy. I have pulled the USB and rebooted a number of times.

Thanks for the help,

Ralph

February 22, 2011
by Ralphxyz

Darn I found it, of course it was hidden from your eyes, the crystal was misplaced!!

Thanks for looking.

Ralph

February 22, 2011
by mongo

What are those little black things on the power rails? Since all that I have seen, the rails are continuous from end to end, so anything between two points of the same rail would have no effect.

does your breadboard split the power rails?

February 23, 2011
by Ralphxyz

Yes, the power rail is split into sections 4-3-4.

Those black things are some π shape splices that came as a "FREE" gift (I really hate that, are not all "gifts" free).

Actually the spacing of the π does not fit exactly to the spacing on the breadboard so they are rather mangled.

I have been caught in the pass with not being aware of the split power rail wasted hours figuring out why things were not working. so not all breadboards have contiguous power rails.

For those who might not understand what we are speaking of the "split power rails" mongo is referring to means that power does not flow from one side of the breadboard to the other. Only the first four connection groups ..... ..... ..... ..... are connected so the spacers are required.

..... ..... ..... .....π..... ..... ..... .....π..... ..... ..... .....

Ralph

February 23, 2011
by mongo

I see... All of mine are one piece but I have heard of the split ones. Just never saw one before.. I suppose that can come in handy at times.

All of mine have two sets on either side and when I have them mounted side by side, I have four rails to play with so I can have a +,- and ground with one to spare, down the middle.

February 23, 2011
by Ralphxyz

I have another breadboard that I setup for the ATmega168 using the Nerdkit guide and it drove me crazy with not working.

I was using a led to test for voltage across the rails and at the VCC pins. The led would light no matter where I put it but the mcu would not load programs or run.

Turns the voltage on one side of the breadboard the led was seeing was coming from the USB yellow wire. A jumper was required on the rails same as with this board. I finally noticed that while the led was lighting it was not as bright.

It could be convient to split the rail if you have a single board but with multiple boards the rails are next to each other so there is no advantage to splitting them.

Ralph

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that you can build a digital read out (DRO) for a lathe or milling machine? Learn more...