NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Everything Else » Finding the most suited microcontroller

February 20, 2011
by Hexorg

Hello everyone, I kept wondering if it is possible to custom order microcontrollers, or to get an actual processor + RAM + ROM that's best fitted for a project. For example, I have a project that just needs some processing power, memory, and about 5 output pins, it'd be nice if some pins were connected to SPI. That's it.

I was thinking just to get ATiny, but they seem to have max 512 bytes of RAM, and I needed something with at least 1kb RAM.

I guess I'm spoiled by my gentoo system, for thinking that if I don't use some part of the system, I shouldn't have it. But is there any way to get something without all that extra fetures like A/D converters, analog comparators, UART, etc?

February 20, 2011
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi Hexorg,

In order for the manufacturing of chips to be cost effective they need to make lots of and lots of the same chip, so this kind of custom ordering of the parts you need isn't really practical. If you know exactly what you want you can probably just get the chip that has the processing power you want and add additional SRAM chips to fit your needs.

Humberto

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that NerdKits has a TV commercial, seen on MythBusters and the Science Channel? Learn more...