NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Project Help and Ideas » Programmer Not Found

February 18, 2011
by wArri

Hello All, I am having trouble getting the MCU to flash. We had successfully made, and tested the LED Array using the NerdKit, and everything was working. We then went to flash the Scrolling LED code, and were getting some errors. However, we now replaced the LCD Screen, and want to test and load the initialload program to see if our MCU is fried. The Follow is what we get:

lload>make
avrdude -c avr109 -p m168 -b 115200 -P COM5 -U flash:w:initialload.hex:a

Connecting to programmer: .
Found programmer: Id = ""; type =
    Software Version =  . ; Hardware Version =  .
avrdude: error: buffered memory access not supported. Maybe it isn't
a butterfly/AVR109 but a AVR910 device?
make: *** [initialload-upload] Error 1
February 18, 2011
by wArri

I did not try changing the AVR109 to AVR910.

Also, just as a precaution I have ordered 3 extra ATMega168 chips, and was wondering if there will be a need for initial bootload flashing to get them to work with the code supplied by NerdKits

February 18, 2011
by 6ofhalfdozen

wArri,

the "not a butterfly" error seems to be really common lately. There are lots of posts about this error message, so there are lots of suggestions and potential solutions in them. My first suggestion is to double check all your wires, especially the wire/switch connecting the programming pin to ground (can't remember if its pin 13 or not, but it gets the switch in the nerdkit guide.)

February 18, 2011
by Ralphxyz

wArri, did you order the 3 new ATmega168's from the Nerdkits Store? If so you will get a preinstalled bootloader.

If you just ordered them off the web, then did you order them from a mainline supplier like Mouser? You will get blank mcus needing a bootloader. If you ordered them from a hobby site or robot site then they might come with the Arduino bootloader which is incompatible with the Nerdkit C code.

If you got blank mcus or if you get The Arduino bootloader and want to replace it then you will need a programmer this could cost you anywhere between $25.00 to $250.00..

I use the ATmel Dragon ($49.00) just because I want a good chance of supporting future ATmel devices if you get a $25.00 programmer off ebay it "might" be limited in what devices it supports.

The Dragon has it's own issues plus you have to add the header pins and makeup your own wiring harnesses.

Search the forum for butterfly to see all of the discussions.

Generally:

Bad Batttery
Bad wiring
Bad USB (not making contact)
Bad wiring
Bad USB cable
Bad wiring
Reboot
Bad wiring
Strip the breadboard and start over.

Ralph

February 19, 2011
by wArri

Ralph,

I had ordered the Replacement ATMEGA168's from Mouser. So it looks like I'll have to look into getting a programmer.

Thanks, I will be triple checking the breadboard today, and will get back to everyone.

February 21, 2011
by wArri

Just Stripped the bread Board, and re-built First flash attempt gave me:

Found programmer: Id = "↕bp"; type = S
    Software Version =  . ; Hardware Version = b.p
Programmer supports auto addr increment.
Programmer supports buffered memory access with buffersize=128 bytes.

Programmer supports the following devices:
    Device code: 0x35

avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.00s

avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e9406
avrdude: NOTE: FLASH memory has been specified, an erase cycle will be performed

To disable this feature, specify the -D option.
avrdude: error: programmer did not respond to command: set addr

Subsequent Attempts give me the original:

Found programmer: Id = "ê ("; type = O
    Software Version =  . ; Hardware Version =  .
avrdude: error: buffered memory access not supported. Maybe it isn't
a butterfly/AVR109 but a AVR910 device?
February 21, 2011
by wArri

I've Rebooted, Changed COM Ports, and everything Nothing Seems to be working. ;(

February 21, 2011
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi wArri,

Your symptoms make me suspect a dead or dying battery. Or possibly a loose power connection.

Humberto

February 21, 2011
by wArri

Battery Showed 8.4V and its possible that the connections weren't in the Breadboard all the way, Will check back with the DC Plug that came with the LED KIT.

February 24, 2011
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi wArri,

8.4V on a 9V battery could actually mean it is a dying battery. Batteries like these will still show a big voltage with no load on them, but the voltage will quickly drop when you try to draw current from them if they are dead. Definitely try the DC Adapter, but make sure you run it through the voltage regulator.

Humberto

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that interrupts can be used to trigger pieces of code when events happen? Learn more...