NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Microcontroller Programming » Trouble programming the microcontroller

January 22, 2011
by Sam40

Sorry for the last post, it took me awhile to figure out how to show screen shot. I would appreciate any help on figuring this out. I'm working on page 43 of directions on the nerdkit and this is the error i get each time. Thank you...

Alt Text

January 23, 2011
by Rick_S

You accidentally jumped ahead of yourself. If you are on page 43, you need to backup one page and see the instructions for changing your makefile in Windows.

There you will find this paragraph at the top of the page:

If you are on Windows you need to check what COM port the USB cable loaded
as. This might change every time you connect it. Go to the Device Manger from
Control Panel. Expand the Ports (COM & LPT) section and see what is next to
the “Prolific USB-to-Serial” line. It should be COM5, COM6, or some other
number. You need to open the Makefile in a text editor and edit the line that
begins with AVRDUDEFLAGS. At the end you need to change “/dev/ttyUSB0” to
“COM5” or whatever you saw in the previous steps.

Your makfile still has the /dev/ttyUSB0 as shown in the avrdude response in your screenshot where it said "can't open device "/dev/ttyUSB0" : The system cannot find the path specified."

You need to determine what com port your USB to serial adapter is on (it will be listed in device manager), then change your makefile to reflect that.

Excellent screen shot by the way, Very good idea showing the directory contents each time you changed directories.

Rick

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that you can turn a $20 digital scale into a live weight sensor using our kit with a few extra parts? Learn more...