NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Basic Electronics » Begining

January 09, 2011
by Jalex

Hi Can anyone point me in the right direction? I have lots of experience in electronics and programming. OK I am ready to start now. I think I will start with the Morse Code Decoder. I don't want to take chances burning out parts. I am used to working with schematics or at least pin-outs. While videos are a lot of help I still would like to know what I am connecting to what and why. Shall I just get the data sheet for the controller and go from there or is there more detailed info here in the site.

January 09, 2011
by Rick_S

I know they have schematics for the builds in the NK guide, however they do not have them for a lot of (especially older) projects and tutorials. In most cases the build is VERY similar to the basic build. For instance, if you built the kit to the point of getting to the initial welcome message on the LCD, you would be halfway there, then add the balance of the circutry in the making music with a microcontroller project and you should be ready to play.

Schematics have been brought up a few times on the forum and that was what led to them being created for the guide projects. I really doubt that the older projects will ever see them but they aren't too hard to figure out for the most part.

As for the Datasheet, it will become a good friend as you take your travels throught the world of the microcontroller. There is a massive amount of info there that can at times be hard to digest. However, if you do get stumped, just pop in here with a question and someone will almost always come in with an answer.

Rick

January 09, 2011
by Jalex

Thanks Rick I just looked at the data sheet and you are right. LOL Where do I find the guides? I know a lot of it will be the same for standard projects but I need to be sure I have it right the first time. Right now I am just trying to connect the LCD module and the USB I haven't opened the source code yet. Is there a lot of info in the REM statments there that would help?

January 09, 2011
by Rick_S

By guide, I meant the NerdKit Guide you got with your kit (or downloaded) They have schematics in the member download area for those projects. The schematics are for the tempsensor, dip arithmetic, and blinking LED.

Most of the Kit programs are quite well commented to help you follow along.

Rick

January 09, 2011
by Jalex

Thanks a lot , Rick I didn't get any manual with my Nerdkit and didn't find one to download. I have worked with many RF discrete, cmos,TTL and other chips but never any programmable chips so I want to make sure I wire it right the first time. This is why I am a little lost at the moment. I didn't see anything for the Morse Code Decoder but I did find the manual for the led array kit and I think it has what I needed to get it right. Jim

January 09, 2011
by mrobbins
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi Jalex,

I see the reason for your confusion! It appears that you purchased both the LED Array Kit and the USB NerdKit, but only registered the first of the two. That's why you haven't yet come across the main USB NerdKit Guide yet.

You should have had two pieces of paper inside your shipping box. You can add the USB NerdKit one by going to the Members area and clicking "Register Additional Kit", and entering that code.

If you have any trouble, send me an e-mail.

Mike

January 09, 2011
by Jalex

Hi Mike I can't thank you enough. That's perfect. I was afraid to try connecting it without enough info as I have never programmed a chip of any kind before and all my programming experience is only on computers. My wife got it for me for Christmas and she took out that other number but we found it. Jim

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that you can use a transistor to interface between different voltage levels of digital logic? Learn more...