NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Support Forum » USBtoUART purchasing/replacing prolific cable

January 07, 2011
by Migman81

hi, i´m looking for another prolific cable as it is packed in the NK. but i havent found the same one up to now.

1. where can i purchase that cable?
  2. can i use that converter here instead? http://www.myavr.info/download/produkte/myusbtouart/techb_myusbtouart_de_en.pdf using a cp2102 -> datasheet link: http://www.ic-board.de/data/datasheet/CP2102.pdf

thanks for your replies

January 07, 2011
by Ralphxyz

Buy it from the Nerdkit store!

It's good to support these guys.

Ralph

January 08, 2011
by Migman81

the problem ist that i´m from germany, so got to pay a lot of taxes purchasing from the US.

January 08, 2011
by n3ueaEMTP

Depending on which style programmer you have, you can make the PCB part of the programmer on your breadboard. I had a project that was in a box that I needed to reprogram frequently so I bought some of the ICs (part # CD74HCT14E) and built my own. Finding a female serial connector shouldn't be too tough either. You'll still need the USB to serial converter but they can be picked up at just about any computer store or online.

January 08, 2011
by Ralphxyz

I am just curious how much tax would you pay on $9.99 (us)? Freight might double the cost also.

Also, though this will also cost you have you looked into using a ISP programmer?

They are $25.00 - $50.00 (us) but I am sure you could pick one up in Germany. There are also beta ISP programmers tat are free.

Building one would be fun especially if you could use the Prolific driver.

Ralph

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that sound travels via pressure waves in the air, and you can make these with a piezoelectric buzzer? Learn more...