NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Microcontroller Programming » USB Programming questoin NK03USB manual

January 02, 2011
by Dusty613

This is going to prove how little I know, but on page 43 of the manual it talks about: 1. Now that you have seen the code, we need to use the command line to program the chip. 2. Open up the command line and navigate to the folder with the code in it. 3. List the files in the directory and make sure there is a file called Makefile. 4. Type “make” and press enter to run the “make” command. This command will look for the Makefile and use it to compile all the code, and will then program the chip using the binary files. (If you want to learn more about Makefiles, go to http://www.eng.hawaii.edu/Tutor/Make/ .) 5. You should see an output on the command line telling you what the program is doing.

I do not know what program the instructions are recommending that I open the command line. Please help me understand what I am supposed to do. I do not think this is the "RUN" command on windows, so the command line must be in the Programmer's Notepad? Sorry about being so lost.

January 02, 2011
by 6ofhalfdozen

They are wanting you to open the "command prompt" in windows. This is NOT the "run" on the little start bar. You need to open up the "command prompt" or "dos prompt". On XP it lives in the accessories tab, two or three lines down. Sometimes, windows will let you open it by using the "run" and typing "Command Prompt" Sometimes.. You can also search for the command prompt and windows will find a few shortcuts you should be able to open. It should open a little window with the old dos prompt which is where there want you to start moving around in the folders to find your project and makefiles. Hopefully that helps point you in the right direction.

January 02, 2011
by Hexorg

Also in win xp you can open run, type cmd and press enter. :)

January 03, 2011
by Dusty613

Thanks for all the help folks. Think I'll make some progress tonight after work!

January 04, 2011
by Steven

A quicker method is to hit: Super (Windows key) + R, type "cmd" without the quotes and hit Enter.

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that a motor is harder to turn when its terminals are shorted together? Learn more...