NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Support Forum » HELP ME PLEASE, cant find com ports

December 25, 2010
by missle3944

HI. I just got my nerdkit today and I really enjoy it so far but I've run into some problems along the way put. I've gotten as far as wiring up the USB cable interface on the breadboard and putting the switch on the breadboard too. My first problem is that when I switch the switch left or right it just stays on the program originally loaded on the MCU. I am confused whether it should go blank or just keep displaying the same program. My second problem is that I cannot find the com ports or the LPT port option on the device manager window. I am using windows 7 starter 32bit. Lastly when I plug in the USB it never installs the right driver even though I have already installed PL2303 USB-serial drivers.

December 25, 2010
by mongo

Until you reprogram the kit, it will just display the same message. It means you got it together right. The port is a fun one to get right. There are references to it in the programming that you will need to modify once you find the port. To find the port, I found the terminal program TerminalV1.9b at this link. It will show you which ports you have set up. probably com 3,4,or 5.

December 25, 2010
by missle3944

Thank you very much and great response time

December 25, 2010
by missle3944

I just installed the terminal program but it doesn't detect any com ports. What do I do?

December 25, 2010
by mrobbins
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi missle3944,

Welcome to the forums!

We have a different version of the USB-Serial drivers that some Windows 7 users have reported works better -- download here. Can you please give that a try and let me know if the device is detected with those?

Also, in your first message, you asked whether you should see different behavior when you flip the program/run mode select switch (connecting or disconnecting microcontroller pin 14 from ground). The answer is that the pin is only looked at when the chip is first powered on, so you'd have to remove and apply power to see a different behavior and to get it into programming mode, which will be useful once we find your COM port!

Please let us know the results with the new drivers. If still no luck, perhaps post a screenshot of your Device Manager listing.

Mike

December 25, 2010
by missle3944

Hi. Thank you very much for the other Win 7 driver. It works so far without any flaws. I found the com port and I just have to edit the makefile, but earlier I was experiencing a problem that the makefile could not be found in the command prompt.

December 25, 2010
by mrobbins
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi missle3944,

Excellent! Glad to hear that you've resolved the USB-serial issue.

Not being able to find the Makefile probably has to do with not being in the correct directory before running "make". Using "cd" to navigate can be tricky if you haven't done it before. Let us know if you continue to have trouble getting to the right spot.

Mike

December 25, 2010
by mongo

Good point! I forgot about the different driver for W7. I had to do the same thing.

December 26, 2010
by missle3944

I was wondering if I changed the makefile correctly becuase I found what COM port the prolific usb to serial was in but I was unsure how to change it

GCCFLAGS=-g -Os -Wall -mmcu=atmega168 
LINKFLAGS=-Wl,-u,vfprintf -lprintf_flt -Wl,-u,vfscanf -lscanf_flt -lm
AVRDUDEFLAGS=-c avr109 -p m168 -b 115200 -P COM3
LINKOBJECTS=../libnerdkits/delay.o ../libnerdkits/lcd.o ../libnerdkits/uart.o

all:    initialload-upload

initialload.hex:    initialload.c
    make -C ../libnerdkits
    avr-gcc ${GCCFLAGS} ${LINKFLAGS} -o initialload.o initialload.c ${LINKOBJECTS}
    avr-objcopy -j .text -O ihex initialload.o initialload.hex

initialload.ass:    initialload.hex
    avr-objdump -S -d initialload.o > initialload.ass

initialload-upload: initialload.hex
    avrdude ${AVRDUDEFLAGS} -U flash:w:initialload.hex:a
December 26, 2010
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi missle3944,

If your cable is on COM3 that is correct.

Humberto

December 26, 2010
by missle3944

Hi. Ive gotten past that part but I cannot get into the initialload folder in the CMD to run the make. Ive checked the dir and it says that there is nothing in the code folder. I will email a picture to you

February 01, 2011
by AndrewHI

im having this problem also running windows 7 I have changed the make file and am on com3 but am unable to see the make file when i go into command prompt directory

February 01, 2011
by Ralphxyz

AndrewHI, lets start at the beginning.

Where di you unzip the Nerdkit download files to?

I use D:nerdkitsCode When I want to load the intialload program I do a:

cd nerdkits/code/initialload

On the D drive of course.

Then type make

If you downloaded all of the Nerdkits downloads you will be off and running as soon as you turn your power off switch to run mode and turn your power on.

I really do not know what you mean by "but am unable to see the make file when i go into command prompt directory".

Ralph

February 01, 2011
by AndrewHI

I made a file in my documents on my hard drive downloaded the folder unzipped it. Then I opened the makefile in programmers notepad and changed the last part of the line to com3 which is the com the nerdkits project is on then I opened initial.c in programmers notepad then I opened command prompt from my start menu and could not see the make file on my dir list

February 02, 2011
by Rick_S

Did you navigate to the folder the makefile was in?

February 02, 2011
by AndrewHI

do you mean when I am in command prompt and if so let me know where to put the code file in order to easily access it wen im in command prompt . I'm jut not seeing the file in the directory list when in command prompt to run the program

February 02, 2011
by AndrewHI

Thanks for your help I'm a real newby at this but learn quickly Thanks

February 02, 2011
by AndrewHI

I cannot seem to change the directory when I get into command line by typing cd Is there a setting on my computer that is not allowing me to do this?

February 02, 2011
by AndrewHI

never mind I figured it out thanks for your help guys

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that spinning a permanent magnet motor makes a voltage? Learn more...