NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Support Forum » Missing Object Files?

December 05, 2010
by DaveFla

I just got my kit and am attempting to compile my first program based upon the initialload example.

I am getting a Make error make (e=2): The system cannot find the file specified.

Then make[1]: *** [delay.o] error 2

I searched for delay.o and did not find it.

How are object files created and stored?

Earlier I had a problem with the path of the libnerdkits folder. Perhaps this error is related.

Thanks in advance

December 05, 2010
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi DaveFla,

This is probably related to libnerdkits not being where the Makefile expects it to be. The easiest way to make sure all the paths are correct is to unzip the entire Code folder as a whole, and then just work from there.

The .o files are generated from the .c files when make runs avr-gcc to compile the libraries. For the library files this happens when the Makefile inside your project folder (like initialload) calls

make -C ../libnerdkits

which just runs the Makefile inside the libnerdkits folder.

Humberto

December 06, 2010
by DaveFla

I unzipped the entire code folder. I got the same error. Originally, I created a script to run the dos commands due to long path names. So, I created a .bat file instead. The .bat file worked and the initialload program appears to have compiled. Now I get a Can't open device /dev/COM5 error. I will troubleshoot this further myself.

December 06, 2010
by DaveFla

I removed the /dev/ in the make file and it connected. I get another error buffered memory access not supported. I will check my programming switch wiring. The display looks odd and is not blanked as it was yesterday.

December 06, 2010
by DaveFla

I am now able to compile and reprogram my MCU. The error above could have been caused by a few things. I unplugged and replugged my USB cable from the PC. My battery also died. It was likely low before it died. Device Manager showed 2 COM ports using the Prolific USB driver. I had to try both of them before being successful. I also downgraded my Prolific USB driver software to the NerdKit supported driver. Whatever is using the newer Prolific USB driver (probably my iPhone) hopefully will still work.

December 06, 2010
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi DaveFla,

Glad you got it working. I don't think the iPhone uses the Prolific USB serial driver, it might have been some old cell phone you had, or perhaps a GPS or bluetooth device.

Humberto

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) can be used to control the speed of a motor digitally? Learn more...