NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Microcontroller Programming » using different crystals

November 28, 2010
by dwillson

Please bear with me I am extremely green. There is a project I want to build but the designer uses a 16 MHz crystal. What, if anything do I need to change to do this with the nerdkit?

November 28, 2010
by Rick_S

If the program requires 16Mhz, you would have to do one of two things.

1. Load the program with the nerdkit crystal then after the program is loaded, replace the NK crystal with a 16Mhz crystal to run the program. This would be the easier option of the two.
  2. Re-compile and re-program the bootloader on the chip to use a 16Mhz crystal. Then the 16Mhz would be able to stay in place. This is much more complicated and requires an additional programmer to do.

If the program doesn't have anything that is timed to the chip clock, then the program may work with little or no modifications. However, without seeing the program I can't say for sure.

Rick

November 28, 2010
by dwillson

Thanks for the quick reply Rick!!! I was hoping it might be as simple as changing the crystal once I loaded the program, but wanted to be sure before I purchased the required items. I think the 16 MHz is critical because it has alot of code for timers. Again thanks alot!!!

November 28, 2010
by Rick_S

No problem

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that two resistors can be used to make a voltage divider? Learn more...