NerdKits - electronics education for a digital generation

You are not logged in. [log in]

NEW: Learning electronics? Ask your questions on the new Electronics Questions & Answers site hosted by CircuitLab.

Customer Testimonials » Got my kit today

November 08, 2010
by rssnow

A few suggestions. One is I am color blind, so I tried to get my mom to help me identify the resistor values, but her eyesight wasn't good enough even with her glasses and a magnifier. would it be possible to pack the resistors in some kind of paper strip with labels under them?

Also since i needed a meter to read the ohms value, I bought one at radio shack. It came in quite handy finding a few bad connections.

The color vision problem struck again hooking up the programming cable, i switched the red and green wires position.

Overall I really like it and have some future projects in mind already.

The temperature project works fine i took it outside and the readings immediately started dropping.

Richard

November 09, 2010
by hevans
(NerdKits Staff)

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately there are lots of things in electrical engineering that are still color coded and very hard for color blind people to use. A multimeter for ohm measurements on resistors is definitely a good thing to keep around.

Definitely keep us posted about any other issues you run into, and any ideas you have as to how we can make it easier for color blind customers.

Humberto

November 09, 2010
by bretm

Consider getting some resistors from Futurlec. (I'm not affiliated, just a customer.) The resistors come in taped strips of 5, 10, or 20, so you can just measure one of them and write down the value on the strip. Or you can put them in labelled bins. A few dollars will give you enough resistors for a long time.

November 09, 2010
by Ralphxyz

I had a brother in-law that work for the phone company as a wire splicer that was color blind. We had a lot of laughs over the things he had to do to keep his job but he managed to put in 40 years before retiring. He found a way and so can you. Phone wires have even smaller color codes than resistors. Of course the regional phone service wasn't always that great so he really heard about it from those of us that knew he was the one messing up the phone service.

Ralph

November 09, 2010
by mongo

One trick I use when wiring control systems is to tag the wires. A lot of industrial control systems are primarily in red wires. I use a permanent marker to put unique stripes at each end of the wires, I found that putting binary representations and such at each end helps, especially when pulling them through conduit. Stripes are easier to make and see than numbers.

Post a Reply

Please log in to post a reply.

Did you know that interrupts can be used to trigger pieces of code when events happen? Learn more...